What is phenolic faced plywood?
Phenolic faced plywood, also known as phenolic film faced plywood or simply phenolic plywood, is a type of plywood that has a phenolic resin-impregnated paper overlay on one or both sides of the plywood panel. This overlay is bonded to the plywood using heat and pressure, resulting in a strong and durable surface finish.
Here are some key features and uses of phenolic faced plywood:
- Durable and Water-Resistant: Phenolic film facing makes the plywood highly resistant to moisture, chemicals, and abrasion. This makes it suitable for use in applications where the wood will be exposed to harsh environmental conditions.
- Smooth Surface: The phenolic film overlay creates a smooth and consistent surface that is easy to clean and maintain. This makes it ideal for use in applications where cleanliness is important, such as concrete formwork or furniture production.
- Strength and Stability: Underneath the phenolic film, phenolic faced plywood is typically constructed from high-quality layers of wood veneer that are glued together with exterior-grade adhesives. This results in a strong and stable panel that is less prone to warping or twisting compared to solid wood.
- Applications: Phenolic faced plywood is commonly used in various construction and industrial applications, including concrete formwork, truck/trailer flooring, scaffolding, industrial shelving, and storage systems. It can also be used for outdoor furniture, playground equipment, and marine applications due to its resistance to moisture.
- Sizes and Thicknesses: Phenolic faced plywood is available in various sizes and thicknesses to suit different project requirements. The most common thicknesses range from 12mm to 18mm, but other sizes may be available depending on the manufacturer.
- Color Options: Phenolic film can come in different colors, with dark brown and black being the most common. The color is often chosen based on the specific application and aesthetic preferences.
- Edges: Phenolic faced plywood may have sealed or unsealed edges. Sealed edges are treated with a waterproof coating, enhancing the plywood’s overall resistance to moisture.
Overall, phenolic faced plywood is a versatile and durable material that offers excellent performance in demanding applications, particularly where moisture resistance and durability are essential. Its versatility makes it a popular choice in both construction and industrial settings.